Friday, March 27, 2009

Grammar Pet Peeves: P.S.

So, for the second time this week, I got an email from someone where they finished the missive with PS. They then followed it with PSS. PS means postscript. With additional PS's added, it is usually PPS (Post-postscript), adding more Ps the more post the postscript you go. PSS drives me crazy. Postscript script? Nuts.

I have read a couple of places where people have rationalized a definition of Post-sub-script, but that seems like it is reaching. The indefinable "they" then go on to say that the next PS would be PPPS, so I am not sure I buy it.

It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, like people who say/write Sister-in-laws instead of Sisters-in-law. But I learned long ago that you come across as condescending and pedantic by trying to correct people's grammar, so I keep my mouth shut even though my head is screaming "my barbaric YAWP!" Sometimes I even have to grit my teeth.

So, grammar pet peeves? In the one place you can share them without coming across as though you are correcting someone? Just randomly mentioning grammar that drives you crazy--not the people who use it. Sound off in the comments if you need to add your "barbaric YAWP!" My thanks to Mr. Whitman.

4 comments:

Bradley said...

After extensive research, I have determined that the only correct plural form of "Book of Mormon" is "copies of the Book of Mormon." I think Books of Mormon is slightly misleading, but that's just me.

tkangaroo said...

Yeah, yeah. But only because it is your birthday. . .

Lady Holiday said...

I don't know if this is wrong or not, but I can't stand it when people say things like, "where are we going to?" or "where did you get that at?" The last "to" and "at" just seem incredibly redundant. Thank you for providing me this opportunity to vent this peeve that has been silent inside of me for so many years!

Karen (but sometimes Chris) said...

I can't think of any specific faux pas at the moment, but I do think of you and cringe on your behalf every time I hear one. You done trained me good!

I just read B's blog; I knew there must be a reason why you've been especially on my mind these past few days. I love you and miss you. Congrats for surviving (and thriving?) through the day. Wish I'd been there to hold you in my arms again. . . hugs, Karen

Site Meter