Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Ring of a Belle

Jean Simmons died this weekend. I know her best from Guys and Dolls. Specifically this:



And this:



And this:



Okay, part of me just loves it for Brando. But who can blame me (or her)? I've never longed to help a man turn the other cheek quite so much. Ah, chemistry. . .

I also remember her from Spartacus, and the Robe, Olivier's version of Hamlet, and the old version of Great Expectations. She played with well-respected actors like Lawrence Olivier, Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, but I didn't know, she and the-heart-of-my-heart* were in a movie together. Until they Sail (see picture below) played today on TCM, and I cannot wait to watch it sometime this week.

I was incredibly sad to hear of her passing, and yet, slightly excited for her to join all of those who have passed before her from that golden age of dazzling movie stars who captivated me so much
as a child. So, thank you Jean, for years of entertainment, and for ringing a bell--if only metaphorically.

*It just so happens to be Paul Newman's birthday today, and I couldn't let the day pass without telling him "Happy Birthday." You are missed--by me, at least.

1 comment:

Karen (but sometimes Chris) said...

At first glance, I was shocked to hear that Gene Simmons had died. (Long live men in makeup and pointy shoulder pads!) Then Chris pointed out it's Jean, not Gene, who passed away. That makes more sense now as to why you'd be blogging about that. My condolences.

Site Meter