Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mortality

And just when you think you can handle it all, the Lord decides to remind you that you need others.  It has been humbling and demoralizing but good for me to learn that I have thyroid cancer.  They took out my thyroid on March 13, and in a few weeks, I'll have radiation.  They keep reminding me that it is really cancer, and your brain gets it when they give you a printed off sheet of "your cancer." "If you have to get cancer, it is a really good one to get," is a familiar tune, and I am starting to get used to it.

I haven't had any of the odder side effects they have told me I would get--my voice has been fine (knock on wood), but I lost feeling in my left foot (and couldn't walk on it for a few days), had severe vertigo (nowhere near as funny as Lucille Two), and felt like I personally was making honey for the homeless due to the calcium storms. . .

It is funny how you need to be reminded of your own mortality every so often.  It is also funny that he chose now, when I would be awfully aware of it.

Two down, one to go.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Sending you love!

Karen (but sometimes Chris) said...

I love the reference to Lucille Two. Not loving so much all that you've been going through. (And what's this about a car accident?) Do I need to drive out to Durham and play with your hair again?

Site Meter